Heat Treatment is necessary to eliminate wood pests from wood packaging materials (WPM). Customs conduct thorough checks to ensure no wood pests are found in the WPM because severe repercussions may result such as destruction to the natural forestry. LHT is fully equipped with heat treatment facilities that conform to the ISPM 15 standards required by the IPPC. WPM that has undergone heat treatments is marked with IPPC ISPM 15 logo stamp as proof of treatment. Certificates will be issued upon request.
The International Standard For Phytosanitary Measures 15 (ISPM-15,), regulation of wood packaging material in international trade guidelines cover all forms of wood packaging material that may serve as a pathway for pests posing a pest risk mainly to living trees. They cover wood packaging material such as crates, boxes, packing cases, dunnage, pallets, cable drums and spools/reels, which can be present in almost any imported consignment, including consignments that would not normally be subject to phytosanitary inspection.
Innovative Alternative Methods
We understand heat treatment does contribute to carbon emissions. We continue to research and develop innovative ways to create an inhospitable environment for wood pests without heat treatment.
The ISPM 15 Clause 2.1 Exemptions
The following are of sufficiently low risk (can be exempted from the provisions of this standard):
- Wood packaging material made entirely from thin wood (6 mm or less in thickness)
- Wood packaging made wholly of processed wood material, such as plywood, particle board, oriented strand board or veneer that has been created using glue, heat or pressure, or a combination thereof
- Barrels for wine and spirit that have been heated during manufacture
- Gift boxes for wine, cigars and other commodities made from wood that has been processed and/or manufactured in a way that renders it free of pests
- Sawdust, wood shavings and wood wool
- Wood components permanently attached to freight vehicles and containers
Heat Treatment Standards
The International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) has set standards that require all Wood Packaging Materials (WPM), such as pallets, crates, boxes and dunnage used in transport cargo, to be treated and marked. The objective of this is to develop a uniform standard to control pests in WPM used in global trade.
At LHT we provide heat-treatment services that are compliant to the ISPM 15 standard, which requires all wood packaging material to be heated to a minimum wood core temperature of 56 degrees Celsius for a minimum of 30 minutes to kill wood pests. We are fully equipped with heat treatment facilities that conform to the ISPM 15 standards required by the IPPC.
Wood Packaging Materials that have undergone our heat treatment process is marked with the IPPC ISPM 15 logo stamping as proof of treatment. Upon request, we will issue a certificate acknowledging the heat treatment.
Our Heat Treatment Process
Benefits when you choose LHT For Heat Treatment Services
- One-Stop Bespoke Solutions
- Competitive Pricing
- Dedicated Customer Service
- Experienced Team
- Efficient Innovative Process